Tuesday, September 26, 2006

FAQ: The 'Roll On Friday' Question

I've now been asked so often why this site doesn't mention that Goth Girl and I met on an internet site for lawyers called Roll On Friday that it's become boring. This site was originally set up so that we didn't have to keep answering questions about how we got engaged, how the wedding plans were coming along and so on, but we never anticipated that people would start questioning the truth of what we were saying.

In which case, let's get one thing entirely straight. Everything you read on here is the truth. If you think about it, it more than defeats the object of the site if it is any different. The engagement happened as we say it did, the wedding plans are at the stage we say they are and, where people have p*ssed me off, then I've mentioned that too.

Quite why anyone would think either of us would want to lie about how we met is, frankly, beyond me. It would mean keeping up that lie for the rest of our lives together, which will, d.v., be a very long time indeed. I'm not that good an actor.

It is true that Goth Girl and I first came across one another on the Roll On Friday website. We had both been using the discussion board there for some time, me for over three years, GG for a little under that time. We knew each other's online personalities and we also knew each other's real names (a result of a comedy incident that I might reveal details of another time - I've worked up a good head of steam on this rant and I'm not going to get distracted now). But we had never actually met.

More importantly, we were never likely to meet. If it had not been for chance and the persistance of a mutual friend (and fellow Roll On Friday user), none of this would have happened. And the important fact was that the mutual friend had met both of us. They knew what we didn't, which is that we would get on in a way that we could never have anticipated from a mere internet messageboard.

In short, therefore, Roll On Friday was a part of our shared past, but left to our own devices we would never have seen one another face to face. In fact, neither of us even knew that the other one was single, because those facts had never been revealed by either of us.

It follows, therefore, that our meeting had very little to do with Roll On Friday and an awful lot to do with two good friends and the capricious nature of fate.

But none of this is anything that has ever been denied by either of us. This site links to Roll On Friday. So do both of my other sites. I have introduced Goth Girl to people as '...my internet bride.' And it really is f*cking annoying to have to waste half an hour of my life explaining to people why something as utterly trivial as this is a total non-issue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home