Monday, July 10, 2006

Day 118

Today was the day for telling people what we had done. Or not.

We have both sets of parents coming to stay in 12 days time and we have decided not to tell them before they arrive. Having both been married before we have agreed that neither of us need ask the permission of the other's parents, but we of course want them to approve and this seems to demand that we speak to them face to face.

That we have a chance to do this is remarkable. Goth Girl comes from Kentucky and her parents still live there. They visit the UK approximately once in a blue moon. Not entirely by coincidence, they are coming over here just when we need them to be here.

This creates problems of its own, though. For the time being, we can only tell people who are unlikely to let on to either set of parents. Effectively, this means our work colleagues.

Goth Girl told her workmates this morning. I did the coward's thing and sent my office an email just as I was leaving for the evening. So far, no-one else knows.

Goth Girl has had the toughest job of all. She speaks to her parents every Monday evening. When she spoke to them tonight she had to hide everything from them. She did a wonderful job of it too, even if she did malign my inability to speak French in the process. Fortunately, I think her mother was too preoccupied with trying to plan their visit over here to worry about what her daughter might have been up to in Paris.

That said, my father called this evening. Not telling him was one of the hardest things I have ever done; I am so proud and honoured to be engaged to Goth Girl that I want the world to know. But sometimes it is better to postpone the best things in order to be able to savour them more later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home