Monday, July 10, 2006

Day 117

Just to keep in with yesterday's routine, I now find myself writing about day 117 on day 118. It may well be that I'll never get up to date and I certainly don't envisage that I will post something on here every single day, but you can never tell.

Day 117 started very late. Despite our nap during the party we didn't wake up until gone midday, which left us just enought time for a lunch of left over chilli and burritos before we made a dash from the 17th arrondissiment back to Gare du Nord. This meant that we missed out on the additional sightseeing we had planned to do (for reasons too complicated to explain here we wanted a photo of Goth Girl outside Shakespeare & Co, but I messed the original ones up), but it did deprive our hosts of the chance to grill us too much about our engagement.

The train back to London was a delight. A £10 upgrade to Leisure Plus class made a world of difference from our cramped journey over to France. We even got a meal and free drinks. It was like being on an airplane, without all the inconvenience of leaving the ground. Aside from one slight panic when I mistranslated an announcement and thought we were 45 minutes late, it was one of the best rail journeys ever.

Surprisingly, wedding talk didn't hold our attention for the full 2 hour 49 minute journey and I even managed to finish the book which I started when I first met Goth Girl. It is a subject which we have discussed in the past anyway and we are both fairly clear on what we want. As we have both been there before it is a bit easier to get away with very little ceremony and a lot of partying - or at least we hope so.

As we departed the train, the final announcement ended "Allez les Bleus", which reminded us that there was a World Cup final to watch. Fortunately, we made it home in time and even more fortunately Italy won and spared me the anguish of having left Paris before any French celebrations could begin. Now all we have to do is unpack. Oh, and try and stop our friends telling our parents what has happened.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home